The CAST (Consultation, Advice, Supervision and Training) team works directly with professionals who are working with young people experiencing or at risk of experiencing mental health difficulties.
CAST offers mental health specific consultation, advice, supervision and training to school staff and other professionals where a young person is not currently receiving Specialist CAMHS support. Professionals include:
- Health visitors
- All agencies within the children’s workforce
- Social services
- Voluntary sector
Every school has a named CAST worker who they can contact. In certain circumstances we are able to offer consultations on a one to one basis for individual children and young people. We are also able to offer advice regarding individual children and young people when they would like to remain anonymous and on issues involving groups of children where there is a concern.
The team work closely with specialist CAMHS to ensure a seamless transition into treatment for children who need it most. CAMHS CAST can also make recommendations to other agencies about how to support the emotional and mental well-being of a child/young person by offering strategies, recommendations and possible overview via supervision and consultation of an agreed action.
Training for professionals
CAMHS CAST offer training for:
- Worcestershire school/GP/organisation
- When training is not available else where
- Those who require mental health specific training
- Staff who require training, not young people
Depending on the requests across the county, it could be that CAMHS CAST would offer a county wide training which would be open to multiple schools/GPs/professionals. Please note, training requests must be specifically related to mental health.
Worcestershire CAMHS CAST referral information
A child/young person can be refered into the CAMHS CAST service by a professional if;
- They are registered with a GP in Worcestershire
- Have consent from parents/carer
More information for professionals is available in this leaflet.
Leaflets and resources
- Information leaflet for parents
- Professionals referral leaflet
- Emotional Wellbeing Toolkit for Professionals - It may be helpful for you to access the Emotional Wellbeing Toolkit for Professionals developed by Worcestershire County Council. The document ‘aims to provide a quick guide to best practice in order to help Worcestershire schools, colleges and other education settings know what they should be providing to meet the emotional wellbeing needs of their pupils and learners, and to know when and how to access further support if needed.’